Common nam :Century Plant
The scientific name for Agave americana marginata
L var marginata:
The original habitat of the cactus Agave Americana Marginata:
Agave Americana Marginata description
Agave americana marginata, is a succulent about 1-2 meters high. The leaves are succulent, fleshy, green in color. The edge of the leaf is surrounded by a broad yellow band.
The leaves are characterized by their downward curvature, and their top ends with a sharp, strong, hooked thorn, and the two edges of the leaf are armed with sharp thorns.
The length of the leaf reaches about 120 cm and its width is 30 cm. When the plant grows old, it produces a branched flower spike, the length of which ranges from 8-12 meters. It produces an abundant number of greenish-yellow flowers, which soon turn into small complete plants
Note that these pups are propagated by the plant in order to restore the history of its life, as the plant dies after the emergence of these bulbuls.
It is known that succulent Agave Americana Marginata, dies immediately after the ofsets (small plants) emerge, and these offsets are an extension of the life of the mother plant.
Agave Americana Marginata propagation.
- Agave Americana Marginata plant is propagated by planting the pups that are formed on the flowering racemes when the plant blooms for the first time over its life, and from this it is called the Century Plant.
Propagation is also done through the back part of the ground rhizome.
agave americana marginata plant watering
- Agave Americana Marginata plant is one of the water-loving plants, and the land must be constantly moist around the plant, so the plant should not be thirsty at all. Watering should be moderate, without thirst, taking into account the nature of the soil and the environmental conditions in the region.
agave Americana Marginata fertilizer.
- Agave Americana Marginata plant needs well-decomposed organic fertilization, free of fungal diseases and insect pests.
- Agave Americana Marginata plant is also fertilized with the neutral chemical fertilizer NPK 10 – 10 – 10 at a rate of 300 g in two batches, the first batch during the month of March, and the second batch during the month of August.
Agave Americana Marginata light requirements.
- The Agave Americana Marginata plant needs sunny places in the garden, and it should not be grown in half-shaded places, as lack of light leads to the cessation of plant growth, and it may not bloom and its life ends without producing the flowering raceme that produces the bulbs with which the plant is propagated.
Agave Americana Marginata soil
- The Agave Americana Marginata plant needs fertile, well-drained soil and light yellow lands. It also thrives in sandy lands, taking care of the irrigation process and the good and regular fertilization process to supply the plant with its need for food to continue its life in an excellent way.
Agave Americana Marginata plant in home gardens.
- It is very nice to grow the agave Americana Marginata plant in the home gardens in the sunny places in the garden and also on both sides of the entrance, where it gives the place a very high luxury, and it is also planted in the middle of the flower beds in the large home gardens.
Agave Americana Marginata plant
- Agave Americana Marginata is grown in rock gardens.
- Cactus Agave Americana Marginata is grown in home gardens in sunny places
- Cactus Agave Americana Marginata is grown in the gardens of embassies, consulates and places of very special importance.
- The finest types of very strong ropes are extracted from the plant fibers, which are used to tie huge sailboats.
- A substance called Mecogenin is extracted from the leaves of the Agave Americana Marginata plant, which converts into cortisone, which is used for medical purposes.
Agave Americana Marginata Problems.
- Yellow spots overwatering
- Black spots overwatering and heat stress
- White spots powdery mildew cure by backing powder.